Sunday, October 2, 2011

My New Job

Someone I love and trust and who knows about such things counselled me that the two most important things about one's job is feeling they are making a difference and that the people they work with and for care about them. I am so glad to now know that firsthand. I was very blessed to be offered a great job back in August and now that I have been there for six weeks, long enough for the honeymoon phase to wear off a little bit, I think I am ready to declare it a total win. While my work is most certainly not rocket science it is important enough that I am reminded regularly that I am appreciated. I am doing things in a slightly different setting than the last thirty something years but many aspects of my work are familiar. I get to find and solve problems and use skills I acquired during my years of full-time mothering in the areas of organization, conflict resolution, efficiency and cost savings. Some things are just pretty much the same no matter the setting. Also not unlike my years at home, I am surrounded by really wonderful people. I have the remarkable distinction of working for one of my sons' peers! Yes, my boss is someone I have known for 17 years, since he was in fifth grade with my second son. I have watched him grow up, go off to college, marry his sweetheart and embark on parenthood. He is smart, kind and very good at what he does and it doesn't hurt even a little bit that he loves God. Imagine sitting at lunch in a restaurant, across the table from your boss as he prays a blessing over the food or working nearby while he taps his pen and sings along with the Jesus music playing in the background. These are not qualities designed for show. He really is that guy. So is his Dad who co-owns the business. I thank God every day that in this loooonnnnggg journey He did not give me what I thought I wanted. This was the job for me. I am glad to go to work every day. I feel a real sense of belonging and accomplishment, maybe even that I make a difference, and that I am valued and cared for.

While I do enjoy going to work, there is the downside of seeing less of my husband and kids. As it happens, Mr. B has found ways to stay busy in my absence and even makes dinner now and then. I determined when I went back to work that I did not intend to drop any of the things I do for my family...hopefully I am doing pretty well. Hubby cooks because he wants to, not because I expect it. Only once or twice has he had to tell me he was out of socks or work shirts. I've had to change up my schedule a little bit but meals are getting cooked, laundry done and the house looks nice most of the time. Dating is still a priority as well. I checked with the remaining offspring living in my home and he assures me he is fine with me being gone as much as I am. No one in my family liked that I used to spend most days alone with not nearly enough to do. He knows where to find me, as does hubby and all the other kids who live nearby, and my work is flexible enough to allow for visits, texts, phone calls, etc. Didn't I say it was great?

This job has also afforded me a car and that makes hanging out with kids and friends a little bit easier. The money isn't bad, either. It's sweet that my honey likes to pack me a lunch for a change, something I've been doing for him for literally decades as well as serve me breakfast on his days off. And he seems to really likes to hear all my work stories. I'm pretty tired when I get home on some days but all in all this has been a wonderful transition. I love it when a plan comes together, especially when it was His plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment